How Can Homeowner Associations Help Control Mosquitoes in their Neighborhood?
Mosquitoes are not only annoying pests, but they also spread mosquito-borne diseases. Communities can help reduce mosquito populations by removing sources of standing water where mosquitoes lay their eggs. Homeowner associations can help their residents in fighting the bite through developing a community-wide initiative to reduce the mosquito populations in their neighborhood.
Here are a few helpful tips to get your neighborhood involved:
- Educate: Educate homeowners on how they can contribute to the fight against mosquitoes. Distributing educational materials to residents on how to identify and address areas of concern will help the battle. You can download free educational materials for your residents below.
- Eliminate: Eliminate standing water from common areas and encourage your residents to do the same on their properties. Mosquitoes only need 1 tsp of water to breed. Elimination of anything holding water, or that could potentially hold water for 5 or more days should be removed or addressed.
- Planned Community Days: You can plan for neighborhood mosquito prevention days, focusing on the reduction of breeding sources in common areas and on residential properties. Spending some designated time throughout the year addressing standing water issues will benefit the community.
- Reminders: Sending out reminders to residents after extended periods of rain asking them to dump their water is another way to assist your homeowners.
- Common Area Control: The use of clubhouses, pools, tennis courts and playgrounds are all hampered by the presence of mosquitoes. Designating a team of people to routinely inspect and dump water in these areas is important. Some local mosquito control companies may also be willing to provide a free inspection and recommendation report for addressing identified problems.
- Partnerships: Some homeowners may wish to add a further layer of protection by using a reputable mosquito control company. The company may be willing to provide discounted services for your residents if a group of them sign up. When choosing a mosquito control partner, consider the following aspects:
- How do they deal with pollinators and environmental factors? Some companies use all-natural products when addressing pollinators and control near waterways.
- How do they train their technicians? Technician training can vary greatly between companies. Ideally, they provide a lengthy classroom and hands-on training and team up new employees up with mentors. They should provide extensive training on product knowledge, mosquito biology and control, and environmental awareness to include pollinators.
- Do they mix their products on-site? Mixing products on-site allow for applications to be tailored to each yard and results in optimal effectiveness since they aren’t being exposed to the sun all day long in a premixed tank.
Additional Resources and Downloadable Educational Materials:
- Protect Yourself From Mosquito Bites
- 10 Ways to Prevent Mosquito Breeding Sites
- Mosquito Control Tips & Techniques for Homeowners
Mosquito Joe of Northwest Florida can assist communities with our professional services as well as excellent resources for residences to minimize pesky mosquitoes from ruining their neighborhood. We offer discounts to neighborhoods groups that allow us to schedule their treatments at the same time. To learn more call 850-316-4030 or email email@example.com.